Chris counsels both individual and corporate clients on a wide range of legal issues with a special focus on tax and estate planning. His background in real estate development has also enabled him to effectively counsel clients on development, construction and sales of both land and building projects. He is dedicated to seeing his clients achieve their entrepreneurial goals and realizing their professional and familial visions.
Chris began his legal career at Pricewaterhouse Coopers after graduating from Georgetown University's tax law program. At PwC, Chris worked as a tax associate charged with advising and assisting national companies with various jurisdictional tax compliance goals.
Wanting to bring this same level of expertise and attention to individual clients and their families, Chris joined a boutique estate planning and business law firm in Charlotte. There, he served high-net worth families by advising and implementing estate planning strategies designed with the twin goals of wealth preservation and generational planning. He also assisted entrepreneurs at all stages of their business development.
Chris then served as general counsel at a real estate development and investment partnership where he was able to combine his legal background with his prior experience as a real estate broker. There, he supervised and helped administer multiple sales and development campaigns in addition to managing both commercial and investment real estate portfolios. He also provided individual estate and tax planning services to partners and their families.
Prior to attending law school, Chris worked as a real estate broker and as an award-winning newspaper journalist.
- Advised client on negotiating, administering, and brokering a business asset purchase sale of multi-generational family business.
- Counseled client on 1031 exchange options for $15 million gain in sale of real estate investment
- Counseled multiple out of state clients on achieving goals of moving business operations to North Carolina.
- Negotiated international warehousing agreement on behalf of North Carolina client
Construction & Real Estate Development
- Counseled North Carolina real estate developer on land purchase, lot recombination and rezoning for townhome development project
- Managed transactions for major commercial retail development project, including property management, leasing and eventual sale of property
- Advised developers on construction and leasing of flex warehouse project
- Assisted developer investors in determining sell and hold options for real estate portfolio based on tax liability and associated carrying costs
- Resolved tax controversy for client facing wage garnishment and property tax liens by the North Carolina Department of Revenue
- Represented client-witness throughout criminal IRS investigation of fraudulent tax preparation business
- Counseled client subject to IRS audit notice due to improper tax documentation being submitted by client's employer
- Represented client throughout NC DOR audit and advocated before NC DOR regarding client's out of state tax status for years in question
- Drafted estate planning documents to achieve generational wealth transfer and asset protection goals
- Created plan to protect client's interest in passing estate assets to children of prior marriage in light of state laws providing for spousal allowances
- Counseled CEO of FinTech company on development of plan to protect future earnings from litigation and to assure his family's future financial status
- Georgetown University Law Center - Master of Laws (LLM) in Taxation, Certificate in Estate Planning, 2012
- University of Georgia School of Law - Juris Doctor (JD), cum laude, 2011
- University of Georgia -Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (ABJ), Minor in History, 2003
- North Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- North Carolina Real Estate Broker with B-I-C designation